Sunday, April 15, 2012

DIY Fail into DIY Score: "Zikat"

Happy Sunday!  Last week I went fabric shopping for the first time in months.  I came across this gorgeous fabric by Alexander Henry:

Zikat
I was lucky enough to find it NOT on sale.  (Why it is lucky to find something at regular price?  Fabric stores tend to mark their items at around 30% off, and then publish coupons for 40% or 50% off that you can only use on regular priced items.  For example, it's currently on sale at Joann for $10.99/yd (less than 16% off), but with my 40% off coupon, I was able to snag it at $7.79/yd.)

When I got home, I knew I wanted to make this print into a maxi skirt (for me!) but then I remembered that I had only bought 1.25 yards of fabric of each of the 6 prints I had picked out.  (When I spend forever and a day waiting at the cutting counter, I tend to do the math in my head and get scared to blow my entire budget just on fabrics, so sometimes I don't buy enough, especially on designer prints.  Blah!)

I still attempted to make myself a maxi skirt, but my hips protested.  They insisted that I needed at least another half quarter yard to make it a maxi skirt and not an elongated pencil skirt! 

No problem!  I cut off a few inches of elastic at the waistband and trimmed some inches off of the length, and voila!  A perfect "Zikat" maxi skirt for my mini-me in a cast.


Not only does she rock this look out, she balances extremely well on one foot so that mommy can get a good pic!

She wanted the same Katniss braid I had done for her when we saw The Hunger Games a couple of weeks ago.  Love it!

And, here we are together.  (Excuse the grip I had on her arm, her leg was getting tired from standing so long and she thought she might fall!)  Of course, I had on ZERO accessories.  Isn't there a saying about the cobbler's son going barefoot?  In my case the cobbler is barefoot.

So what do you think about my daughter's $8 fashion statement??  Tell me in the comments!

Click here to see where this and my other posts are linked!

Photobucket

1 comment: