Monday, October 14, 2013

15 Minute Project: Tablecloth Curtains

I needed some curtains for my dining room (in progress) but I couldn't find any that I loved without giving up my first born child in return.  Then I came across two of these tablecloths:

 

15 minutes later I had this:




I love quick and easy projects almost as much as I love repurposing and upcycling.  This is my favorite curtain tutorial so far, especially because it is only has 4 steps.

  1. Find a great deal on 2 identical oblong fabric tablecloths (Target's Threshold brand comes in 84" length...the same as a basic curtain panel! Many tablecloth brands range up to 120" in length for the same price!)
  2. Fold over the end of each of the tablecloths and pin to create a pocket on each for the rod.  The amount your fold depends on the size of the curtain rod.  Keep in mind that the more you fold over, the shorter the curtains will be. Make sure you fold them identically so that the panels hang evenly!
  3. Stitch along the bottom of each fold.
  4. Hang your new curtain panels!
What I love most is that tablecloths are already hemmed along all four sides, so you only have to sew one straight line across each!



Identical curtain panels at Target cost $24.99 each!  These tablecloths were $18.99 each (regular price). I saved 20% using my Cartwheel app, AND I had a Target coupon for $5 off a home purchase, so I ended up spending around $25 for both.  Another plus is that tablecloths are anywhere from 6" - 20" wider than curtain panels, so I only needed two for this large window, where I would've normally needed 4 traditional panels.



If you keep your eyes peeled, you will catch a great deal on some tablecloths.  I've seen some as low as $6 recently! 

A variation of this tutorial for more narrow windows:

  • Use only one tablecloth.
  • Cut the tablecloth in half lengthwise.
  • Hem both newly cut sides
  • Follow steps 2-7 above.
  • Save EVEN MORE MONEY!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment