Monday, December 10, 2012

Home Sweet Home{town}

Oh, how I've missed you my little blog!  I've been missing a lot of things.  In fact, that pretty much sums up where I've been and what you are about to read.

As many of you know, my hubby, our kids and I moved from Florida to Virginia two summers ago. As I've said in the past, the move was a challenge for me, but also a great adventure.  You see, other than the one month I spent in NYC for business, I'd never lived away from my hometown nor my parents.  Not in college, not as a child, NEVER.

The opportunity for the move arose, and we jumped at the chance to make a much-needed life change. We spent 18 months in the beautiful Old Dominion where we saw some breathtaking sites and made such lovely friends, but not without our share of struggle and sacrifice.

Being apart from our extended family was no easy feat, especially when it seems that everyone else is struggling financially, as well.  Trips back home were few and far between, and only a couple of relatives were able to find a way to visit.  Earlier this month, Hubby and I came to the realization that the next step in our journey would be to come back home.


We packed the 26' moving truck all by ourselves.  Being Thanksgiving week, we didn't want to ask any friends for help, so it took us 4 days and many aches and pains.

The drive was LONG----16 hours!  That was an hour longer than our original drive up, and 3 hours longer than the normal 800 mile drive home.  The good Lord was on our side, because we made it home safely after driving all night.

While I drove, I had a lot of time to think.  I thought about the last 18 months and what was to come in the future.  I knew I would miss my Virginia friends, the beautiful fall leaves and the possibility of winter snow. But at the same time, I began to get excited about seeing my old friends, being close to my family and summers at the beach.



It's been two weeks since our arrival, and we are still settling in.  We are staying with my in-laws for a few months to save some money and look for just the right place. I've gotten to see a few of my old friends, been able to participate in some family functions, and each day is getting easier.

I'm currently preparing for my winter trunk show, but I hope to be back in full swing after the new year.  Thanks for reading! xx


Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Nothing can beat the pleasure of being close to the dear ones. Traveling and re-locating takes a toll on you, both physically and financially but when you start counting the positives, the strength increases manifolds :)

    I am sure you'll settle in soon. It's your home land after all :)

    ReplyDelete