Monday, August 15, 2011

Oldie But A Goodie: Red Dresser


Disclaimer:  The following was one of my first furniture makeovers. Before I became obsessed with Annie Sloan Chalk Paints, I would enlist my husband to help me out with all the un-fun stuff that comes with refurbishing a piece of furniture (mainly sanding, although he often took over the painting as well). This is one of the projects we worked on together.


About this time last year I pulled up to a thrift store that had recently opened in my old neighborhood and  I saw this beauty sitting by donation door.  I asked right away how much they wanted, and since it had just been dropped off, the manager let me have it for $10!


It was kind of gross, and the trim had been painted a bright blue, but it had a gorgeous shape!

I love finding surprises (of the non-organic kind) when I purchase a dresser, and this one was great.  The underside of the drawers were lined with a newspaper from 1996 (which is probably when they first revamped this dresser with the blue paint!)



After sanding down the edges we could see the original gold paint peek through.


 Two coats of a Sherwin Williams red paint (I don't have to color handy--sorry!!) and...


I kept the original handles after spraying them with a dark brown Rustoleum paint.


I wanted a clean look, so no distressing here.


So can I get a 'what what'??

Scroll down to see where this and our other projects are linked.

Photobucket

29 comments:

  1. It's FABULOUS!!! I am definitely FBing/Tweeting this!

    Anna
    www.askannamoseley.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! So colorful & cheery! (Swingin' over from My Junk Drawer Monday Link Party.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I love the red with the brown handles. You're right that it's a fabulous shape, and I love the chalkboard message. Whut-whut!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure... "What!? What?!"

    Very cute redo and you are right, the lines are lovely for this piece. The newspaper is priceless too... LOL

    Visiting from Coastal Charm- Nifty Thrifty Tues Linky Party,
    ~Suzanne in IL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely GORGEOUS!! Lovin' that red!!

    Deborah, visiting from
    http://upcyclingmylife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! Truly transformed! Thank you for linking to Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great! found your blog from Handy Man, Crafty Woman!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it when you find old thngs in a dresser! Come and link this to WorkShop Wednesday. It would be a nice addition to the party!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE this amazing transformation!!! Looks gorgeous! :) Thanks so much for linking up to my Weekend Soiree! Have a great weekend!
    Crystal
    Homemaker in Heels

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUMMERS- You have been featured at CraftOManiac. Have a SUPER SATURDAY. winks-jen

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the bold color you used!! I'm featuring your dresser today! Feel free to stop by and grab a button!

    http://craptastickatie.blogspot.com/2011/08/five-feature-friday-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Autumn--Tara B sent me your way. I'm obsessed with ASCP too. Love the red dresser. It's so bold and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Saw your dresser on craptastic. beautiful! LOVE THE RED!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh-ooh, this red looks awesome! And I love how you sprayed the original hardware. I gotta find me some AS paint. Maybe I should sell my electric sander to pay for it ;-) Thanks for linking with Show and Share.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the color. I will be featuring this dresser tomorrow night at my Sizzle into Summer party that opens at 8pm EST. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What...What! Now that's a funny sign :) Bold and bodacious I'm lovin' it. If I wasn't already following you I'd follow you agin.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a gorgeous dresser redo! I love the bold red what a fun color! Thank you for sharing this at Simply Creations Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I super duper LUV that red! AWESOME JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  19. L O V E it! You were super lucky to snag this one.

    XoXo,
    Kristal

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the red! Looks so great. I've found a few surprises in old dressers too. I got one a few weeks ago at a garage sale with old panties jammed behind the drawers. Newspaper would have been a better surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the color of this dresser. You did a super job. It has such a pretty shape!
    gail
    ps catching you this week

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the color! It turned out amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks great! I love it.
    ~ Meredith From A Mother Seeking

    Come Fine me on: A Mother Seeking...

    ReplyDelete