Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Affordable Sheets Become Dream Curtains

When we decided to move to Virginia, one of the things that I knew we would miss the most is the short drive to the beautiful Florida beaches.  As I set out to decorate my children's new bathroom, I found a sweet frame that summarized my personal feelings about the beach: Sand between your toes, waves crashing, sunsets...it doesn't get much better than this.

I was lucky enough to find matching towels and a bath rug, but what the bathroom really needed were curtains.  I scoured the fabric stores, but nothing stood out.  It wasn't until one afternoon perusing Ross that I found a sheet set with the perfect pattern and color to match the bathroom.

So this...



Became this...




A perfect compliment to my beachy bathroom-in-progress.


What makes this even sweeter?  These microfiber sheets cost just $12.99.  I only used the flat sheet for these curtains so I still have a fitted sheet and two pillow cases to use for future projects!

Photobucket

17 comments:

  1. The curtains look amazing! That's such a great idea, could you explain how you made the pocket for the curtain pole?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your curtains are a great addition to your bathroom and will help to carry out your beachy theme. I was thinking that you could sew a little strip on some hand towels to match.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To make the pocket for the rod, I made a 4 inch fold and sewed 2 seams. The first was along the bottom of the fold, and the other was 2 inches above the first seam. That left about 2 inches for the rod to slip through and 2 inches for a top ruffle. HTH! Thanks for reading and we hope you become a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jane: Great idea!!! I will do that! Thanks for checking us out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These turned out fantabulous! Love the idea to use the extra fabric for towel accents. Another idea: basket liners. You've got some skills!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look great! I have a sheet as a shower curtain (with a liner behind it). I love using sheets and the possibilities are endless.....I love how yours turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did the SAME thing with twin sheets in my living room. Your's turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these, and the entire bathroom design! I never thought to look at sheets when searching for curtains, thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty! I've always marveled at the price of fabric compared to the price of sheets! Thank you for linking to Handy Man, Crafty Woman's Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love those sheets, turned curtains!!! They look so summery and fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ohh so pretty! I love the design and color! I recently made curtains out of a tablecloth!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the idea of using sheets for curtains!! These are super cute too :)

    I featured this today on my blog...come grab a "featured" button! :)

    http://christinasadventures2010.blogspot.com/2011/07/sunday-features-27.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love it! that pattern is almost coral like! i would love if you linked it up to my tip-toe thru tuesday party!!

    http://crayonfreckles.blogspot.com/2011/07/tip-toe-thru-tuesday-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. The pattern you chose is simply divine! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love using sheets for these type of projects!
    great job. Love the color!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look fantastic! The pattern is so, so rich! I love it. Thanks for linking up to Lemon Tree last week!

    ReplyDelete