Thursday, June 23, 2011

Man's Dress Shirt Becomes Flirty Skirt!

I just love repurposing and upcycling!! Last week I came across a tutorial that I knew I just had to follow.  I started out with a man's dress shirt. 


Hubs would have killed me if I used one of his, so this was $4.99 at my local Goodwill.
A little nip and tuck, and an hour later I had this:

Cute, huh?
Here I am in an attempt to model my new skirt:
It's not easy to get an 8-year-old to take a clear photo!

The only thing I did differently from the tutorial is that I didn't make the belt loops. I used a 15x33 men's shirt, and if I were to make this again I would probably look for a 16x35 (I normally wear a size 6 or 8 skirt) to have a bit of a fuller skirt and more sleeve length to work with for the belt/sash. I would also probably make the skirt a couple of inches shorter by cutting the waistband a little lower.  I didn't do it this time around because I wanted to keep the pocket in tact.

Aqua Seventy 6 hopes you are having a great week.  Make it a better one by becoming a follower! Comment and let us know that you are a follower and we will follow you back!

Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. I love this idea!CUTE! I visited the how-to and saved the link also, as another project I can do....as soon as I learn how to sew! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the shout-out! To be honest, I think yours turned out much cuter. And must I say, a far cuter model!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love how you did this! great job! i'm going to have to try it also!
    new follower thru remodelholic's link up you can find me at http://lalalawrence.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. How stinkin' cute! I would totally wear this...I'll see if my husband can spare a shirt for me to use :)

    Thanks so much for linking back to my site too...it's so appreciated :)

    I featured this today on my blog...come grab a "featured" button! http://christinasadventures2010.blogspot.com/2011/06/sunday-features-26.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the CUTEST idea ever!!! Oh my gosh! My husband has so many old shirts that he doesn't wear anymore, looks like I'll be stealing them :) I know you'd love this tutorial I posted today, it's taking an old shirt and an old dress and making a new dress! After seeing this, and that you like to sew, I think you'd like it. If you want to check it out, here's the link!
    http://rolledupprettyandcutoffthoughts.blogspot.com/2011/06/holey-shirt-ghetto-dress-do-over.html
    I found your blog from Dittle Dattle, so happy I did, I'm totally following you now!
    Savannah

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw that cute tute too, I like how you did your belt and kept the pocket. I'll be trying this too when I get back from vaca. Great job,
    Emily
    domesticdeadline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so impressively cute! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw this idea a few days back and I immediately pulled out Hubs' discarded shirts. I just wrapped it around to get the feel but since I don't have a sewing machine I could not go any further. Waiting to be at Mom's place so that I can actually put this great idea to use.

    Your skirt has turned out to be really good. Love the belt :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute! I would love it if you would link this up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome all the dresses are very nice.dress shirts

    ReplyDelete