Monday, April 9, 2012

Spring "Break"

We were so excited for the end of the third marking period and beginning of Spring Break last week.  The warmer weather and longer days were calling our name.

Wednesday afternoon, as I finished up a few orders in my "studio-office", Hubs took our daughter outside to play.  She got on her scooter and asked her dad to time her to the end of the cul-de-sac.  Two minutes later, I hear Hubs screaming* my name through the open living room window that faces the porch.

*This is a common occurrence.  Anytime Hubs is outside he screams for me.  Usually it's to see a butterfly or listen to a bird sing or any million other benign situations in nature.  He always yells for me as if I'm missing the greatest experience in the world, so of course, I didn't exactly RUN outside when he called.

As I walked out through the front door, expecting to see a bunny on my lawn or a woodpecker on a tree stump, I see Hubs consoling our baby girl whose knees, shins and wrists are scraped up. "She broke her leg!" he tells me. As I look closely, I see a huge dent in her shin and know that he's right.  Apparently, she caught too much speed at the end of the street and fell over onto her scooter as she was trying to turn around the cul-de-sac.

I carried her upstairs and washed the mud and pebbles from her scrapes. Dressed her in a soft skirt, knowing she'd be coming home in some kind of splint or cast, and we headed to the hospital.

My monkey was trooper!  She didn't cry when they put in an IV, wasn't scared when they took x-rays, and followed all of the doctors' and nurses' orders.  The x-ray showed two fractures in her tibia:


The next day we went to the orthopedist for a cast.  A long cast.  An all-the-way-to- her-mid-thigh cast!  Again, she was a trooper.  Not even a whimper.  She got her mama's pain tolerance! ;)


She's expected to remain in this cast for three weeks, then a shorter cast for at least three additional weeks.  Right now school is up in the air.  I don't know if she will be in home bound schooling, or if she will be able to return when she gets the shorter cast. 

Another challenge has been her wardrobe. She's pretty much stuck wearing skirts for the next few weeks.  After emptying out her drawers and closet she had a grand total of 3 skirts which were long enough to appropriately cover her while propping one leg up in a wheelchair.  We took a quick trip to the mall on Friday, but at a minimum of $15 each, there was no way I was going to be able to afford to get her a good enough variety of skirts.

 I made a quick run to the fabric shop, and spent the weekend working on some new skirts. More on those tomorrow.

The rest of the weekend was chill.  We went to Mass and lunch on Easter Sunday, and then spent the rest of the day on the couch watching golf (fun, fun!)  I was definitely missing my Florida family.  Sooo, how was your Easter Weekend?



Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Smart thinking with the skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a bummer!! At least her cast is pretty, right?? Not much of a consolation, I'm sure! Thanks for linkning up!

    ReplyDelete