Friday, September 2, 2011

Fall Fashion DIY: Infinity Scarf

Happy Friday, gang!  Can you believe it's September already? 

In Florida, the school year usually begins mid-August. The concept of starting after Labor Day is quite foreign to me, as is waking up to temperatures in the low 60s this early in the year.  The fact that the local pool CLOSES on Labor Day wigs me out.  Back home, the beaches are still warm well into October.  Virginia is still the South, right? :)

Even so, after spending the week shopping for school supplies, meeting teachers, and touring campuses I am ready for fall!
One of my favorite fall accessories is a scarf.  A couple of years ago I purchased my first infinity scarf (which is basically a tube a fabric connected on both ends.)  I loved it so much that I wore it everyday, which of course means I took it off somewhere (restaurant? sister's house? grocery store? movies?) never to be seen again.


I decided to try to make my own infinity scarf, and here is what I came up with.


I didn't photograph a step-by-step on this because to be perfectly frank, I didn't know what the heck I was doing. I made so many mistakes that I nicknamed this the "Dingbat's Infinity Scarf".


I love how versatile this scarf can be!



You can wear it so many different ways!


 Leaving out my trial and error this is what I did:


  • Cut 2 pieces 12" x 54" of your favorite fabric
  • Sew together one of the short ends on each (right sides together) to make a 12" x 108" strip.
  • Fold the short length in half (right sides together) and sew along the long side.
  • Turn the tube inside out (like a sock).
  • Fold in and press a seam on one of the open ends
  • Tuck the other short ends into the folded end and top stitch them together
I won't deny that those are the worst instructions ever.  I am positive that there is a MUCH easier way to do this, so if you figure it out, let me know!  Even so, I am loving my new infinity scarf.  I can't wait until it is cool enough to sport it out!



Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS! I love the material and the colors! boy do i wish it was cool enough here to wear that scarf right now! :)

    Would LOVE for you to link this up to my new diy fashion linky party called DIY Diva Thursdays. It's open until Monday :)

    Kara
    www.mineforthemaking.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this project. You have some really great ideas on your blog. I'd love if you would share some of them at my link party this weekend. Hope you can make it!
    http://mumofalltrades.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your scarf is lovely. I'm going to try one of these out! I'm new to sewing, but I think your instructions make sense. I also appreciate that you posted pics of different ways to wear it. My biggest drawback to wearing scarves is that I don't know how to wear them- so thanks!

    http://growcreative.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute! I love scarves, and I can never have enough. Come link up sometime at I Made It! Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it. It looks great and it can change your entire look if you know how to wear it. I would definetly choose a black vintage dress for it, black high heels and one of those superb white Chanel watches :P

    www.replicarating.com

    ReplyDelete